57 day old infant dies as family and hospital blames each other

Sonai, Jun 6 : 57-day-old baby admitted to Silchar Medical College and Hospital and under oxygen support died last night in Silchar Medical College. The infant breathed her last while travelling on the road from SMCH to Civil hospital, allegedly after the hospital authorities forcefully discharged the infant. Allegation of assault were also brought upon by the father of the child against few doctors who reportedly assaulted the former.

Family members said, at first not enough oxygen was given and the baby was released from the hospital in a state of critically ill. When they protested, few junior doctors beat them in groups. They have even been harassed in the hospital and also videotaped. Family members are mentally depressed following the incident and has launched a complaint at Ghungoor police station of Silchar.

“There was a problem with the knob in ICU and we had to switch it on manually every 20 minutes. We were doing it regularly as asked and the baby was responding well. But last night the doctor misbehaved with me and pushed me away from the paediatric ICU. I requested the doctors to allow me remain inside the ICU for the sake of her health. But they didn’t allow,” said Sharik Ahmed, father of the infant.

The principal of the hospital, Dr Babul Kumar Bezbarua, however has denied of any ill treatment by the hospital authorities and said the incident would be adequately investigated.

Although the family members claimed the the doctors forcefully discharged the infant despite on oxygen support, the principal of the college refuted the claim and mentioned the patient was taken away by the parents against medical advice of the doctors.

What is more strange of the incident is that the person who filled up the discharge form has a handwritten signature, which states that ‘Lily Begum’ is the mother of a female child and she is discharging with responsibility. However the family said the baby’s mother’s name is Masuma Begum, and she did not sign the discharge form.

On Sunday, a team led by Additional Superintendent of Police Perth Pratim Shaikia and Sadar Police Station OC Ditumani Gaeswami visited Silchar Medical College Hospital and questioned the doctors and health workers working there. Police said statements from both sides have been taken and the incident is under investigation. Required information will be made public after the investigation.

 Meanwhile, expressing concern over the incident, Sonai MLA Karim Uddin Barabhuiyan demanded the health department and higher authorities of the administration to properly investigate and find the culprits. He also sought the intervention of Assam Chief Minister Himanta Bishwa Sarma in this regard.

error: Content is protected !!